The Wall Street Journal published some advice on how to beat baggage fees, including but not limited to:
- Joining a credit-card loyalty program where the first bag will not be assessed a fee
- Be an active member of the military
- Paying fewer dollars in fees for checking your bag on the Internet instead of in person at the airport
- Being an elite member of the frequent flier program of an airline
- Purchasing an annual program where a passenger and up to eight companions can check as many as two bags each per flight on all flights
…and even keeping an eye out for some creative promotions. For example, Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants offers a credit of up to $25 for guests who show proof of a charge for a second checked bag. Another creative example is this Frontier Airlines promotion.